The text presented some better ways to introduce recognizing
patters and sequences than ways I have seen in text. I like the idea of using
objects that the kids can arrange rather than a table of values or pictures on
a worksheet. I was also excited to see it because it has a large connection to
the material I am currently teaching. Getting students to shift from very
computational/memorized fact mathematics to algebra, where students compute to
solve a problem is tough. I think it’s analogous to the transition when kids go
from learning to read to reading to learn.
I used to work at Ypsilanti
High School in Michigan, where they actually had Algebra
Project and YPP afterschool. YPP was sort of co-funded through a grant that I
was working under providing free afterschool tutoring. I never sat in on
Algebra Project classes, but I did participate in a few of the YPP meetings,
which I thought were great. The students mostly played math games with college
kids, and then learning the games and played them with younger students at
local schools. Anyway, I really agree with Moses that students need to be
proficient in math science and technology in order to function as a productive
member of society. Successive generations will have to be able to do jobs that
machines cannot do. I tell them that I don’t care if they can solve 8x + 10 =
-2, a machine can do that, that if they don’t want to be replaced by a machine
than they really need to learn how to take messy problems (ie contextual
problems) and make sense of them. Most of the time I feel like many of my
students don’t really get the connection, or don’t feel like making the effort.
It is tempting for me to frame these things as a civil rights issue, but I have
not yet because I am cautious about how they will respond, or I am scared that
they won’t care.
I read both the calculator article and the technology
article about using the equations applet. I thought the equations balance was a
clever way to teach the concept of equations and examine the relationships of
the values. The writer was correct that we have to emphasize the math, not the
technology. I use graphing calculators every day in the classroom, and when I
show a new concept we usually go over how to do it by hand first, and then I
show them how to do it in the calculator. Using the calculator also allows us
to do more complicated problems or contextual problems that might be
computationally overwhelming if we didn’t have the calculators. I really should
get better about using more technology in the classroom also (besides my
graphing calculators) but I occasionally get sucked into a textbook/EOC vortex
that favors those kids of problems.
Nice reflection, Carol. I liked the patterns section as well -- multiple entry points so open in terms of students' math backgrounds.
ReplyDeleteI am always surprised by how my children and their friends are so adept with technology. I have to actually block out time and "learn" how to do certain things that seem intuitive to them.
It is an aspect of motivation -- using technology to connect with students. So, important for that reason.
A lot written about the algebra project -- I think linking math literacy to civil rights or students' life changes is such a profound lens. It is not just about teaching students technical skills...