Wednesday, November 14, 2012

11/15/12 reading



I agree with much of the Black article. I loved how he used the term black box for the school. At my school last year we used to joke that school was the “magic box” and just because students where in the magic box it meant that they were learning. Teaching standards are always being raised and the pressure comes down to teachers because we are the ones with the job to teach, but there are really more factors than just the teachers.

One point that I find surprising was the opinion that assessment boosted low achievement. I always feel like many of my lower achievers lose motivation from a flow of low grades.

I do agree that teachers can learn a lot from assessment, because I really get a feel for how students are progressing from quizzes and tests. It is sad that often student work just get copied and isn’t and accurate reflection of their ability. Although I do find less copied homework when I assign activities and less text problems.

Multiple choices tests are easy for the education structure to understand. If teacher assessed students on class performance of applying knowledge, the numbers wouldn’t be so clear cut, which would make every ones job a little bit harder. I even find myself being really ridged about my grading just so that I feel like I am being fair to all the students.

The Maxwell article about assessment with portfolios was great. At the Montessori middle school that I worked at last year we graded with portfolios also. On parent teacher conference night the student sat down with the parent in the classroom and showed and explained their progress to their parents. At that school the range of items required for the portfolio weren’t as extensive, it was more about work they did really well on and work that they had struggled with. The students also had to write a reflection for each piece or work. I preferred the requirements offered by Maxwell, especially the part about mathematical attitude and the mathematical connections. I think it’s important that the students develop a positive attitude toward mathematics and problem solving and the ability to apply and see where their mathematical knowledge fits into the world.

I thought it was interesting that the article pointed out that the idea of having to do a portfolio made the teacher change the types of assignments given. I like the idea of having students do a math portfolio and collecting something that they feel they can be proud of. It’s also important for students to see their own growth and to take pride in it.

Also, I like the idea of using a math log to get feedback on student understanding of the lessons and what they struggle with, but then I also worry about how much time it would take up. I typically have a reflection question at the bottom of every class work sheet I give them in class that asks them to name one thing they understood and one thing they still have questions about. It’s helpful to get that info, and it would probably be even more helpful to get an even more detailed and human account of what they are struggling with in math class.

1 comment:

  1. I think one point for me from the article is that the "right" kind of assessment, an informative kind can help students to achieve more and better. So, then what is the right kind? Well, think to what is helpful to you in understanding what students know and understand - most likely a variety -- that includes students letting us know what they thought when they solved a problem, not just the answer...

    I think one huge challenge is how we make sense of assessment - even a ticket out the door, and what we do with that info in terms of teaching.

    Do you think STandards-based grading would be helpful in your situation?

    ReplyDelete