Tuesday, October 30, 2012

11/1/12 Reading




The family math night that LaChance describes sounds like a lot of fun, especially for younger students. I can envision it working really well, especially in an elementary school setting. I would love to participate in a family math night, or even host one, unfortunately I really don’t feel like it’s an appropriate fit for the school I am in now, and perhaps would be better pulled off with more years experience, and a decent chance at some kind of turn out for participating parents and students. I would really like to see some of the activities they used in action.

A couple of the ideas from the NCTM website were good. I wish I had tried to call all my parents the first week of school when I started this year. I will start the next semester that way. Knox County already has a lot of parent contact in place, like all the grades on-line and the schoolfusion pages. I really need to do a better job of trying to keep the webpage up to date, but most days I really can’t because it is all I can do just to stay on top of grading and planning.

1 comment:

  1. Here is the nctm website (page) on communicating with parents. You will need to react to this as part of the reflection...you were working ahead!

    http://www.nctm.org/resources/content.aspx?id=6340

    ReplyDelete